Welcome to A Very Merry Saturnalia 2013! For those of you new to Paradox, A Very Merry Saturnalia (or simply, Saturnalia) is an annual fanworks exchange in which members sign up to create fic, art, and mixes for another participant. The exchange is named for Sheldon and Penny's first hug in the season two episode "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" (still one of the greatest Sheldon/Penny moments). Gifts are revealed from December 17th to 23rd in honor of the ancient Roman festival referenced in that episode.
Whether you're new to Saturnalia or you participated in previous years, please make sure to read the rules and guidelines thoroughly before signing up!
Successful fanworks exchanges require participants, but this exchange has seen dwindling numbers. If too few people sign up, we will need to reconsider whether Saturnalia is still worthwhile.
October 3rd - Sign ups open.
October 17th - Sign ups close.
October 21st - Assignments sent.
November 18th - Rough drafts due.
December 15th - Gifts due.
December 17th-23rd - Gifts released.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Sign ups: You will have until October 17th to sign up to participate in this year's exchange. Read the rules and the sign up form thoroughly. Any sign up that doesn't meet requirements will need to be corrected.
- Assignments:</i> We will use the information generated by the sign up form to pair participants with recipients. Your preferences and wills/wonts will help us with those assignments. You will receive an assignment via email by October 21st.
- Fanworks: Gifts may be any of the following: fan art, fan fiction, and fan mixes. The requirements for each type of gift are:
- FAN ART must be a completed work (no drafts or sketches unless submitted in addition to the completed work) and involve a minimum of two mediums (pencil, colored pencils, pen, charcoal, etc).
- FAN MIXES must have front and back cover art and a minimum of 8 tracks. The tracks must be uploaded to a site like MediaFire.
- FAN FICTION must be a minimum of 1,500 words and should be beta-read.
- Characters/pairings: Sheldon, Penny, and/or Sheldon/Penny must be the focus of all requests and gifts, but you may include other characters and pairings.
- Use of prompts: Your gift must include at least one of your recipient's prompts, but doesn't have to include all of them.
- Rough drafts: You will have until November 18th to submit (via email to email@example.com) a rough draft of your assignment.
- The rough draft should meet 75% of the requirements for any art or mixes. You should use your best judgment when determining whether your rough draft meets this requirement.
- The rough draft should meet the required word count for fan fiction, although it can be unedited and unbeta'ed.
If you're unable to submit a rough draft, you must still contact the mods by November 18th. Your assignment will be given to a pinch hitter, but you WILL NOT be considered in default. However, if you do not submit a rough draft AND fail to contact us by November 18th, you WILL be considered in default. Your assignment will be given to a pinch hitter. You will not be permitted to participate in next year's exchange.
(We understand that crises and complications sometime arise. Please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible if something does come up. You will be allowed to participate next year.)
- Submissions: All gifts (including pinch hits) are due on December 15th. We will begin releasing the gifts from the queue on December 17th and continue to do so until the 23rd.
Sign up by filling out this form. Please read the following thoroughly, and if you have any problem signing up, please comment on this post and a mod will try to help you!
- While we want to have as many members participating as possible, please only sign up if you genuinely think you will complete a gift.
- All fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are REQUIRED.
- You must have a valid email address to sign up. We will use this to contact you with your assignment.
- You must list THREE requests when signing up so that the person creating your gift has options.
- You may request AUs or crossovers with other fandoms, however at least ONE of your prompts must be non-AU AND non-crossover.
- Please pay careful attention to the form when signing up. If your sign up does not follow the exchange's rules, we will have to ask you to resubmit.
- Prompts may not be song lyrics or quotations.
- We are providing spaces for longer prompts (i.e. Sheldon and Penny get stuck in the freezer at The Cheesecake Factory. Chaos ensues.), but we also ask that you use the Wildcard prompt to submit 3 one-word prompts (i.e. sneakers, yellow, astronomy) so the person creating your gift will have a variety of options to choose from.
Please check out the sample form below. If you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask!
(CLICK THE THUMBNAIL TO
VIEW THE FULL SIZE.)
- All submissions should meet the community guidelines as well as the guidelines for the exchange. That means, using proper headers, lj-cuts & tags.
- Along with the regular tags for fanworks, please tag your post with "!a very merry saturnalia: 2013"
- Somewhere in the subject line or header of the post, please make sure to note "Saturnalia gift for USERNAME."
- You may post prior to the assigned posting dates if you need to since the post will go into the moderation queue.
- Failure to meet the guidelines of the challenge or community guidelines may result in your post being rejected. If we reject your post, we will ask you to fix the problem and resubmit.
Below you'll find a link the form to sign up as a pinch hitter. Pinch hit sign ups will stay open until December 15th. This means you can sign up now if you know you'll want to be considered as a pinch hitter. Or if you are currently unsure whether you'll be available to pinch hit later on, you can sign up in the future if you become available.
What is pinch hitting?
Pinch hitting is essentially being a back-up artist/writer/mixer. If someone is unable to complete their assignment, we will go to the pinch hit list to find a suitable replacement.
How does that work?
If someone drops out of Saturnalia, we will go to the pinch hit list and find the first suitable replacement. We will contact that replacement with the recipient's information.
If you would like be a pinch hitter, please sign up using this form!
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK THEM IN THIS THREAD. A MOD WILL REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.